The Energy and Resources Institute or TERI is hosting its annual flagship event, the World Sustainable Development Summit 2020 (WSDS–2020) from 29 to 31 January 2020 at India Habitat Centre in New Delhi. With the theme, ‘Towards 2030 Goals: Making the Decade Count’, the WSDS summit lays a major emphasis on the global efforts made to achieve the sustainability targets of 2030.
Since the last 18 years, the World Sustainable Development Summit has been the confluence of political leaders, Nobel laureates, business leaders, decision-makers from multilateral institutions, scientists, media personnel and members of civil society to deliberate on major issues related to climate change and sustainable development.
The WSDS-2020 summit is being held under the aegis of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change with support from the Ministry of External Affairs. The 2020 edition of the summit will address the main themes of water, energy, industry transitions, circular economy and e-mobility. The summit will strive to broaden the scope of its reach involving more stakeholders and thinkers in the fight against climate change.
Some of the distinguished speakers expected at WSDS-2020 are: Prof. Nicholas Stern, London School of Economics; Ashvin Dayal, Power Initiative-The Rockefeller Foundation; Prof. Kelly Gallagher, Climate Policy Lab, The Fletcher School, Tufts University; Dr. Arunabha Ghosh, CEO, CEEW, Dr. Måns Nilsson, Stockholm Environment Institute; Prof. Kazuhiko Takeuchi, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies; Lord Adair Turner, Energy Transitions Commission; etc.
Key features of the WSDS 2020 summit:
- Regional dialogues – Explore critical issues of different regions and identify solutions
- Corporate conclave – A platform for industry captains to brainstorm ideas under the theme ‘Fast Tracking Circularity through Innovative Financing’
- Thematic tracks – Discussions on finer nuances of the summit’s theme
- Youth climate conclave – Aims to sensitize youth about the issues of sustainability and climate change
- IFAT Delhi 2020 – A trade exhibition for clean technologies
- Plenaries – Panel discussions related to the summit’s theme. Speakers include academicians, senior policymakers and business leaders
Date: 19.01.2020 | Source: TERI